Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Hope and reconciliation in liberia


Since the end of Liberia’s 14-year civil war, some 100,000 ex-fighters have been demobilised. Here, Emmanuel Toe (r) and Srafa Dugba (l), both 26, explain how they have ended up working together as apprentice car mechanics.
Emmanuel was forced to fight with the pro-government Wild Geese militia, while Srafa was captured by and fought for the Lurd rebels.

Emmanuel: Even though we fought on opposite sides, I took him to be my brother when I met him. Now we joke and eat together.

Srafa: After the war in 2003, I wanted to learn a trade. Twenty-four of us were sent to this Monrovia garage by the YMCA a year ago, as part of the disarmament programme.
We used to get $30 a month but that has stopped. We were also supposed to get tools but they never arrived. Most of the others have left but I really want to learn something useful.

Sometimes my boss or one of our customers gives me a few dollars but I don’t get a salary. One day I’d like my own business.

Emmanuel: Some of my former comrades lost their arms or legs in the war.
Others are deaf or blind from using heavy weapons.


They are the ones who beg for money on the streets of Monrovia.

Others did not want to go back to school or learn a trade but quite a few are like me. Some are learning to be tailors or electricians or they are selling goods in the market. Some are even in school, doing exams.

Emmanuel: This is our last chance for peace from the UN.
If I saw my ex-commander now I would speak to him. He is living in exile, but this is no longer the time for grudges.

Srafa: I have seen my former commander. After the initial beatings, I was not treated badly, so I’m not angry. He was very pleased to see that I was making something of my life.

In the end, our future is in our own hands – and that of all Liberians.


Photos and interviews by Joseph Winter

No comments: