Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Welcome



As we look at the world today, we seek new ways to understand and define the future. Is it realism, idealism, materialism, consumerism, or some other "ism"? While I do not have a pat answer, I suggest that the fundamental "ism" need is OPTIMISM. This point was driven home to me when I listened to the 2006 Noble Peace Prize winner, Muhammad Yunus. He stated that if you accept that proverty will always exist then it will as the structures/systems we create will ensure it. If we start with the premise that proverty need not exist then, and only then, will we create the environment to eliminate it.


Nobel laureate Muhammad Yunus

With this in mind, the goal of The Avnon World Series is to bring together reports of happenings in the world that illustrate and inspire a brighter future. The Series has been alive for one week and as I search for inspiring people, projects, actions, and pictures, I am confident that we all have the skill, knoweldge and courage to make a difference. While I hope you will enjoy these offerings and encourage you to respond with thoughts, suggestions and comments, it would be even more rewarding if you are moved to action in your own way.

Peace

No comments: